Sunday School & Bible Studies
Sunday School: Sunday School is available to all ages at St. John’s. St. John’s has six adult Sunday Schools which are open to men, women, couples/singles, as well classes for children through college age. Small groups also meet during the Sunday School hour. One of the things that makes St. John’s Sunday school so unique is that it is offered year-round.
Bible Studies: Bible study has been a part of St. John’s for many years. Usually meeting on Tuesday evenings, and using a variety of materials, participants learn more about the Bible and how it relates to them in their everyday lives.
Elementary Children: meet on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month at 6:00 PM. Dinner is served at 6, followed by activities from 6:20 - 7:15 PM.
Youth: our junior and high school youth meet the first weekend of each month (look for details each month) and on the 3rd Wednesday at 6:00 PM.
Ladies Tuesday Evening Bible Study: is doing a study entitled: A Women’s Heart, God’s Dwelling Place, by Beth Moore. The study is at 6 pm in fellowship hall. This study explores the fascinating account of the building of the Old Testament tabernacle, the significance of its intricate design, its pivotal role in God’s eternal plan, the grand fulfillment of its purpose by Jesus Christ, and its variety of meanings for your walk with God today.
- Music Music is God’s creation. It is a gift to God’s people to use in praise and adoration and in prayer.
Chancel Choir: Chancel choir is featured in our 10:30 AM worship service and other festival services. They rehearse on Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the choir room.
Carillon Handbells: The Carillon Handbells is our handbell choir that meets on Wednesdays at 6:30 PM in the sanctuary. (No rehearsals June-August)
- St. John's Preschool St. John’s Preschool offers a stimulating and nurturing environment which is designed to meet the needs of the children in the church and the community. We have a loving and experienced staff who allow the children to participate in a variety of experiences that encourage the development of the whole child. We offer a theme-based curriculum which allows the children to learn basic skills and prepares them for elementary school. We also offer music, art, Spanish, computer and an on-site gymnastics program.
The preschool is open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 12 noon and accepts children ages 1-5. For more information contact the director, Susan White, at 704-873-0222 or email@example.com.
- Women In God's Service Our Mission: “As a community of women, created in the image of God, called to discipleship in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves to grow in faith, affirm our gifts, support one another in our callings, engage in ministry and action, and promote healing and wholeness in the church, the society, and the world.”
Here at St. John’s, there are three “circles” of Women of St. John's who meet at various times each month. These dedicated, hard-working ladies can be found serving meals, hosting blood drives, visiting those in nursing homes, making quilts for local charities, and giving generously of their time and talents to further God’s mission in the world. In addition, they meet regularly to grow spiritually and recharge through Bible studies, fellowship opportunities, and regional events.
The three “circles” of Women of St. John's and their meeting times:
Rebekah Circle – First Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. in members’ homes
Priscilla Circle – First Monday at 6:30 p.m. in Church Lounge
Sarah Circle – First Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. in Church Lounge
- Library In 1966, through the leadership of Betty Jo Henderson Litaker, and the contributions, encouragement and assistance from fellow church members, the Library was born. After untold numbers of hours of purchasing, reading and cataloging books, St. John’s Library houses a phenomenal variety of Biblical reference and resource materials, children’s books, VCR’s, DVD’s, CD’s, the church archives, and so much more. The library contains more than 5,000 books, 150 audio tapes, and 500 videos. It is a library unequaled by another in North Carolina. In November, 2004, the Library was named “The Betty Jo H. Litaker Library” in honor of its founder who today continues to serve St. John’s as Librarian.
- Video Ministry In 1981, the first Sunday worship services were video-taped. These tapes were telecast a week later through the city’s cable station to local citizens. This ministry, directed to shut-ins and others unable to attend the church of their choice, became invaluable. Today, the Video Ministry is proud of its state-of-the-arts studio (named in honor of its founder, Carl Litaker) which provides live broadcasts each Sunday over Time Warner Cable Channel 20.
NOTE: If you live in the Statesville, NC area and would like more information on broadcasting your church's services on Channel 20 Sunday Morning, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call St. John's at 704-873-0222 and leave a message.
- Lay MinistryA Lay Ministry Group was formed in 1977 for the purpose of providing a ministry of “caring” for every member of the church. Lay Ministers use their gifts and talents to care for others. This Lay Ministry serves the members of St Johns, in conjunction with and supporting the Pastoral care provided by the called Pastor. Marianne Wiegman serves as St. John’s Lay Ministry Coordinator.
For more information, contact email@example.com.